Reception Rooms: 5
Land: 6 ha
Impressive authentic Chateau for sale built on a Gallo-Roman site in 1590 with alterations in the 18th Century. Unsurprisingly artefacts dating back to this period have been discovered within the extensive grounds. Records indicate the first occupancy was in the 14th century with the original chateau subsequently replaced in the 16th century (1590) by the Squire of Henry IV.
Remarkably this chateau has been in the same family since the 18th century. In 1763 it was expanded with a lower wing and in 1766 further extended with the addition of its own Chapel. As a classified Listed building, a " Monument Historique “ with grand appeal, it has featured in four films. From a commanding position it retains its defensive external appearance, surrounded by its own private grounds, vineyards, fields and woods.
Inside and over a habitable surface area of 1200m2 with a total of 15 rooms is a grand central staircase leading to the upper floors:
Several reception areas with classical Louis XV and Louis XV and XVI refined woodwork decor, decorated ceilings - 3.8m high, Versailles style parquet flooring and sculpted fireplaces. Rooms leading out to the terrace overlook the fields and another terrace provides an elevated view over the vineyards.
First and second floor
All bedrooms are situated on the 1st and 2nd floors, along with ensuite bathrooms and sitting rooms. On taking the stone spiralled staircase from the 2nd floor there is a studio with natural light, large fireplace and views over the valley
A separate apartment
With a living room and a fireplace, large kitchen area with old bread oven and storage room, this apartment is currently in use. Access is via the rear terrace overlooking the vines and original access into the main domain.
Up on the split First floor is a sitting room with mezzanine, bedroom and ensuite bathroom opposite another bedroom with ensuite bathroom.
Contained within the 18th century extensions is a chapel with sitting room and kitchen.
On the lower level there is a generously sized cellar with bathroom attached.
Waste water : Septic tank
Heating : Wood - Radiators
An original stable now with solid flooring and mezzanine, could be suitable for potential conversion or further stable use.
The Chateau is set high up above the vines and a 300 m2 lake. The land which extends to approximately 6 hectares is sufficient for equestrian activities with 2 hectares already set up as a training ground.
Within the Appellation of Côtes de Bordeaux, the château offers 2.5 hectares of vines, with both Cabernet (20%) and Merlot (80%) grapes planted in rich limestone/clay soil, and provision to plant an additional 1.5 hectares in the adjoining meadow. For the moment vinification is by the Cave cooperative and bottles sold back to the Chateau.
This represents a great opportunity to partake in the history of a stately home and share it by offering hospitality to tourism in the region.