Reception Rooms: 14
Land: 6.62 ha
This remarkable authentic Loire Valley Chateau for sale has remained in the same family for a thousand years and is set on the western bank of the river, in the heart of the Sèvre-et-Maine wine-growing area, just 17 kms from Nantes and an hour from the sea at Pornic and La Baule. Built on the remains of a medieval fortress that protected Brittany from France, the castle was built from 1480 to 1520 and extended in 1630, and illustrious guests who have stayed there include Henry 4th and Louis 14th. The Château is currently open to the public, and the outbuildings include a museum and an aviary. There are superb formal gardens and parkland, in all approx. 6.6 ha.
The entrance to the courtyard is marked by an impressive square tower topped with a high roof, known as the Archives Tower because the archives of the family were kept there. It is an example of the first defensive constructions. Water-filled moats protect the courtyard on two sides.
The Public Rooms
The sitting rooms of the 16th C building are currently available for weddings, conferences, seminars, etc.
3 linked Reception rooms of 110 m2, 60 m2 and 50 m2.
5 Sitting rooms: large Sitting room of 110 m2 (Tapestry room), Red Sitting room 55 m2, Blue Sitting room 55 m2, Grey Sitting room 50 m2, Henry 4th room 55 m2; 2 Guest rooms with Bathroom and WC. In all about 360 m2.
Wonderful period features of the reception rooms include 15th Century walls, monumental fireplace and a terracotta tiled floor,as well as a coffered ceiling, decorative panels and beautiful parquet floors.
The vaulted cellars, approx. 120m2, date from before the year 1000, and can be reached from the ground floor. They are used for wine tasting and cocktail parties.
The Private Chambers
There are 2 private Apartments situated in a wing of the château:
Apartment 1 with about 150 m2 of living space: Hallway; large and small Sitting rooms; Library; Dining room; Kitchen; 5 Bedrooms; 3 Bathrooms.
Apartment 2 with 90 m2 of living space: Sitting room; Dining room; Kitchen; 3 Bedrooms; 2 Bathrooms.
The Château is currently open to the public as well as a museum and an aviary.
The museum is dedicated to the renowned LU biscuit company of Nantes. At the entrance are buildings including a shop and ticket office.
The aviary, with controlled temperature and humidity, covers an area of approx. 150 m2 and contains butterflies and tropical plants.
A long wooded avenue leads to the Château which is surrounded by mature parkland. In front of the 17th C facade there are large formal gardens. In all, about 6.6 ha.