Market Leaders in the sale of Châteaux & Fine French Properties

Flag of United Kingdom Flag of France Flag of Russia
Flag of China Flag of Spain Flag of Germany

(14) Calvados

Exceptional listed Chateau for sale, Pays d'Auge

€3,250,000

Reception Rooms: 7
Bedrooms: 13
Bathrooms: 7
Land: 11 ha

Reference: C5-3550
3,250,000
£ 2,864,225
$ 3,695,218

Exceptional listed Castle for sale in the Pays d'Auge, overlooking the Touques valley whose river flows to Deauville. A town with all amenities is a five minute drive away,with trains to Paris (1hour 35 minutes), & an easy drive to Pont l’Eveque, Caen or Rouen. The seaside resort of Deauvillle with its golf, casino and racecourse is 27 kilometres away and Paris by autoroute, 197 km, about 2 hours.

The chateau consists of three main parts:
North: the Henri IV stone postern surmounted by brick, with its dual-use drawbridge.
South:Main stone dwelling surmounted with timbered construction over three floors
East: A large central building over two floors.
Flanked at each corner by 4 stone towers creating an elegant Courtyard of Honour.
The living space of approximately 1200 m2 consists of:
Ground floor: Entrance hall with marble floor and staircase with balustrades, large Salon with marble floor, stone fireplace and elm Louis XV wood panelling, dining room with marble floor and decorated with wood panelling, small Louis XV Salon & W.C.
First floor: 7 bedrooms, 4 with shower or bathroom/ w.c. and 2 with independent access to the bathrooms/wc. The bedrooms are served by a long corridor. Most of them have beautifully painted wood panelling and terracotta tiled floors.
Second floor: 2 bedrooms (1 with shower), 2 attics.
The central building: Large 18th-century gallery with stone floor, leading to a small summer salon (19th century style), large summer salon with, at each end, 2 superb 17th century Prussian stoves. Access to one of the corner towers via a stone spiral staircase, a small reading room, a large bedroom upstairs, the Gothic lounge (former Masonic Lodge).
The postern: The postern entrance is surmounted by 2 floors:
On the 1st level: 2 bedrooms separated by a bathroom/wc.
On the 2nd level: a large bedroom with fireplace and Versailles parquet floor.
Condition Used a primary residence for many years, the Chateau has been lovingly and meticulously maintained with regular revisions where necessary. The roof in polychrome glazed tiles has been completely reworked. Two gardeners have been employed throughout the season. Well water with pump. Drainage by ‘lost wells’. Plumbing in good condition. Heating by electric heaters with accumulations +wood heating. Hot water by immersion tanks. Single glazed with original wooden frames.
Wooden shutters inside and out.




The outbuildings comprise:
1) "Jeannine’s house", half-timbered under a tiled roof. With a surface area of about 200 sqm on 2 levels, it is composed of 8 main rooms including 4 bedrooms upstairs. It is currently occupied as a "caretaker's house".
2) Large half-timbered outbuilding used as a 4 car garage and workshop, attic on the first floor.
3) Small one room house without a specific use.
4) Orangery with heating used to shelter fragile plants and a vine in winter.
5) Large greenhouse restored in 1990 used to nurture and provide the necessary plants for the park.
6) Small half-timbered garden shed - formerly the peacocks shed.
7) Outbuilding housing a former cider press /woodshed. 2 floors suitable for conversion.
8) 19th century chapel of consecrated neo-Gothic style. Perfectly restored and furnished.

Grounds
The property is surrounded by a park of about 11 hectares, most of whose design was entrusted to the famous Achille Duchesne from 1920. The landscape architect Georges Hayat brought many additional features. The current owners took over this work, a strong Italian inspiration, in the pure respect of the immutable rules of geometry, colours, and perspective.
There are many themed gardens, mostly encased by box and yew topiaries, sometimes overlooked by magnificent blue cedars, red oaks, linden trees, purple beech, yew or white cherry...The flowers are not left behind (roses, dahlias, sage, peonies shrubs...). the garden of the topiaries and its Chinese pavilion, the Italian Renaissance garden, the Japanese garden, the butterfly garden, without forgetting the temple of Solomon. The long basin or "mirror" is attributed to Achille Duchesne, and it was created around 1930, in place of a massive flower border. Surrounded by beautiful Florentine hedges, this large pond remains under the supervision of a beautiful marble statue with a dolphin's head, just like the other dolphin spurting water.


Additional jpg images available upon request.